Top 10 Reasons Why People Use The Internet
We have reviewed the literature from university studies over the years and offer you a list of the Top 10 reasons why people turn to the web, again and again. If you think that you have something to add to this list, please do so in the comment section below. And be sure to check out more information on symptoms of Internet addiction here. Internet addiction – not just a teenage phenomenon!
Here are the “Top 10 Reasons Why People Use The Internet”
1. Information – The Internet is arguably one of the most successful and useful tools mankind has ever created. It is, in fact, the largest library ever created, and is growing daily. Although you need to always be careful of your sources, the Internet is THE modern source of information, delivered in multiple media: written word, visual graphics and images, video, and audio have changed the way that we humans look for and find information.
2. Communication – People use the Internet to communicate with one another. Software has made it possible to stream voice and video across the world with minimal delay, and email has become the main means of communicating for many a modern person. Without the Internet, it would be both more expensive and slower to maintain personal and professional relationships.
3. Entertainment – Many people use the Internet to enjoy themselves and to engage in personal interests. In recent years, multiple player games and virtual worlds have engaged the time and money of many. Plus, video and music are easy to find, stream and download…plus, the medium encourages feedback! Indeed, Internet use can go too far. But how can you know if you’re addicted to the Internet? We list the criteria and signs of Internet addiction in the link above.
4. Work – The Internet provides an alternative to 9-5 workdays, as more and more people can work from home, or “telecommute”. Plus, a growing number of people are making a living from the Internet itself, wither becoming experts in how people search the Internet, providing IT or web development services, or specializing in Internet marketing.
5. School – More and more elementary, high school and university curricula require use of the Internet for school work.
6. Relationships – People use the Internet to find, maintain, or end relationships. But people can get addicted to social networks, too. More on how to know if you’re a Facebook addict here.
7. Market – People use the Internet to research, find and buy services and products. Or to target and sell to the ultimate consumer. In effect, the Internet has become THE best way to buy and sell merchandise, as online “stores” are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
8. Sexuality – Although it may surprise you, it’s no secret that a real majority of search is centered around porn. So, people [men] use the Internet to view pornography and to engage their sexual instinct.
9. Self expression – People not only consume information on the Internet, they CREATE it. And in doing so, people are able to express themselves politically, artistically, vocally, socially, etc. and give voice to what is important to them. The Internet is the ultimate forum on which you can discuss or monologue as you like.
10. Ask for help – The protocol for Internet use is one of private consumption without need for naming yourself. By virtue of the privacy and anonymity factor of cyber space, Some people use the Internet to ask for help. People ask for help in the form of emotional support, medical advice, or even simply listening.
If you think that you may be an Internet addict, there is help out there for you. Or if you looking people who can provide custom web development in the philippines services tailored to meet your business website requirements for Internet addicts.
Our skilled and trained web developers have the website expertise in HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL Web Development to supply a comprehensive website development solution, using either an open-source or a Windows environment, which will maximise your business website productivity and profitability.
Our web development team uses current and state-of-the-art advanced Web Development technologies. View our Portfolio